May is National Pet Month, and it’s the perfect time to show your pet how much you love and appreciate him. Because there are so many fun things you can do to celebrate this month, we’ve put together a list of seven fun activities you can enjoy with your pet during National Pet Month.
1.Go on an Adventure
As the weather is getting warmer, we recommend going out to explore new parks and trails in your local area. You can plan a fun adventure, such as a long car ride to a cool nature spot, a special hike or just pack up a blanket and snacks and head to the park. Your dog will definitely love a day with you that’s filled with outdoor activities.
2.Make homemade treats
What better way to celebrate National pet month than with a homemade treats. There are several recipes online for healthy dog cakes and cookies that you can make. We have an amazing recipe for dog cupcakes with peanut butter and banana, that dogs absolutely love!
- 1/2 cup plain flour or whole grain oat flour
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter (without the artificial sweetener xylitol!)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 banana mashed
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt, cold
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray/butter. Set aside.
- Mix together flour and baking powder in a bowl. Then take another smaller bowl and stir together the peanut butter, mashed banana, egg, and water in until combined.
- Combine both mixtures and whisk until smooth.
- Scoop into muffin pans and bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool completely.
- Place all of the frosting ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Put the mixture into a frosting bag with desired tip. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and let your pooch enjoy!
When was the last time you had quality photoshoot with your pet? Get creative and set up a cute photoshoot. Try some action shots or head out for some pictures with a breath-taking backdrop. You don’t need to be a pro with a camera, just have some fun with it. You can go all out and schedule a professional photoshoot. Just make sure you don’t overwhelm your pup too much.
4.Special pet presents
You can’t have a celebration without presents! Spoil your pet with fun new chew toys and treats. Every pet will appreciate a little present and attention.
5.Donate to your local animal shelter or rescue
Help out at your local animal shelter by volunteering or donating. You can help them clean out the cages, walk the dogs or help them organize a fundraiser to support the shelter in honor of National Pet Month. If you can, consider donating to a local animal shelter or rescue. You can donate unopened food or treats, leashes, collar, harnesses, toys, sheets, blankets and more.
6.Throw a party
Why not celebrate National Pet Month by throwing a party for all your furry friends to come. You can make homemade treats and a cake, add cute decorations and prepare fun games for everyone! Invite your friends and family members around with their pets for a party they will never forget!
7.Visit a pet spa
Everyone loves a spa day! Pets are family too, and they should be treated with value and what better way to show that than through a day of pampering. At the pet spa they offer pedicure, fur care, trimming, conditioning, shampooing, dematting, styling and massage.