Coconut oil is squeezed from the meat inside the coconuts. It has a lot of health benefits for skin, nails and hair. It's packed with healthy fatty acids and saturated fats. It has become a popular supplement in humans and dogs. The best coconut oil for dogs is unrefined or virgin coconut oil.
Benefits of coconut oil for dogs are:
- anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties
- helps with skin conditions like hot spots, bites, stings, or itchy, dry skin
- Improves the appearance of your dog’s fur, it makes it shiny and healthy. That’s why is commonly used in dog shampoos, which improve damaged skin and reduce allergens.
- reduces coughing and helps eliminate hairballs
- good for digestion and weight loss
- helps with bad breath
- eases allergic reactions to outdoor pollen
- improves brain energy and mental function in older dogs